Jeez , last week just zipped by in a flash! With sick kids and doctor visits, evening honors ceremony at the high school, in-laws' birthday party, etc., I hardly had time to come up for air. I'm sure you know the type of week I am talking about. I am happy to say that I finished Manny's snake painting in a few spare minutes I had here and there. We even got it hung (I need hubby for measuring and such). Over all I am pleased, though I didn't realize until it was hung (and way too late) that when I sketched the snake out I did so with the canvases pushed together; that was a mistake. I should have sketched them separated as they would be hung. I have a habit of jumping into a project and not thinking it all the way through. So, my poor long friend has a body that is a bit off. I tried to name this guy but Manny was having none of it. Our conversation went something like this:
Me: Hey sweetie, I have a name for this snake of yours.
Manny: Like what?
Me: I was thinking Boris Klinovsky. (This guy has the look of a Russian spy.)
Manny: ahhhh.... no Nana that's too weird and way too long.
Me: Weird? Really? What were you thinking?
Manny: Well, I was thinking of calling him The Movie Super Hero Snake That Protects Me.
Me: Wow, that's something. That one is kind of long too.
Manny: Not really, that's just what it is.
I suppose I can't argue with that.
I like to use bits and bobs of paper in my paintings. I think it adds depth and it makes me smile. I like to think of it as background noise. When working on this fellow I knew scales were out of the question, but so was a smooth, clean body. He is a rough and tough guy, after all. I had fun filling him in with all kinds of ephemera, including some bits from Manny's school papers.
I am sure the little man will outgrow it in a few years and will want it replaced with something cool. For now, it adds a splash of color to his room and it takes up lots of wall space, about six feet worth. On to the next project...